Tuesday 14 February 2017

My pick of the shows this Spring

This is a really hard post to write, as there is so much coming up from now to Easter for the family in theatres hereabouts, it's almost impossible to narrow down the selection.  It makes me feel so lucky to live in such a culturally vibrant part of the world.

I'm not going to give all the deets but will include links.  Let's kick off with a show taking place tomorrow:

Shark in the Park at Eastwood Park Theatre, Wednesday 15th February.  All three books in one show.  I haven't seen this production but I did see the company's Hairy MacLairy and can confirm that children and adults were lapping it up (ahem).


Image: Eastwood Park Theatre

The Three Bears at the Scottish Mask and Puppet Centre, Saturday 18th February.  I haven't visited the centre yet, but it's on my list of things to do this Spring, I think Jack and the Beanstalk on Saturday 25th February and Oscar's Amazing Space Adventure on Saturday 4th March, look great too.

Funbox (nee Singing Kettle) open their new show, Underwater Adventure on Sunday 19th February at SECC.  Do look out for lots of other dates for this around Glasgow and another new show Highland Fling.  I took Angus to see an animal-themed show in October at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall and he still talks about it.
Image: Funbox

White at Eastwood Park Theatre, Saturday 4th March (also Paisley Arts Centre on Saturday 25th February).  A long-touring production for really tinies.  I keep missing it and soon Angus will be too old.


Image: Eastwood Park Theatre

Moonbeam on a Cat's Ear is showing at Paisley Arts Centre on Tuesday 28th March and Cumbernauld Theatre on Tuesday 4th April.  It looks like a nice, gentle bit of puppetry story-telling.

Image: Cumbernauld Theatre

RSNO's Musical Safari, Thursday 30th March, looks great and there's not much music to choose from, so come on RSNO, add another date that I don't work on!

Head in the Clouds on Tuesday 4th April at Paisley Library will be a brilliant introduction to theatre for your 1-3 year old.

The Tin Forest at Cumbernauld Theatre on Friday 7th April, looks good too.

Image: Cumbernauld Theatre

The Wonderful World of Lapin on Tuesday 11th April at Cumbernauld Theatre is good fun if you want your wee one to start learning French early.  I can testify to the gentle humour, gentle puppetry with lingo added in.

Image: Cumbernauld Theatre

Jack and the Beans Talk, also on Tuesday 11th April at Paisley Arts Centre, looks like a good laugh.

Quickly, my picks for 5s and over:

Magic Versus Science, Saturday 12th March at the Iron Horse Pub as part of the Glasgow International Comedy Festival, looks just the ticket for my family (in a few years).  There's lots of family shows as part of the festival, so I recommend checking out the programme.

Dinosaur Detectives at Paisley Arts Centre on Thursday 6th April looks great for boys.

The Curious Scrapbook of Josephine Bean returns to Eastwood Park Theatre on Wednesday 12th April.  I have seen this and it is brilliant.

Also:

South Lanarkshire has loads on...it's just a little bit too far away for me.  There's loads to tempt though:  Dinosaur World, Room on the Broom and The Tiger Who Came To Tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment